WELCOME TO BIOTECHNOLOGY ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT
The Department of Biotechnology Engineering, Kolhapur Institute of Technology (KIT) – College of Engineering is well acknowledged quality technical institute in India. Students joining the department are from diverse backgrounds, creating a highly stimulating, learning and research environment. We also hold a very unique position, as we are the only college under Shivaji University, offering a course in Biotechnology Engineering.
We offer highly competitive syllabus, based on requirements of Biotech industries as well as national and international entrance exams for M.Tech and Ph. D courses. Every year we invite various guest speakers to enrich the learning experience. The guest lecture topics are carefully picked, to encourage learning beyond the syllabus, so that the students are exposed to new ideas and knowledge.
Our current intake capacity is 60 student for undergraduate and 18 for postgraduate students. Graduating students normally find good fellowships in higher education and pursue their career in academia nationally as well as internationally. A good number of students move into entrepreneurship role establishing Biotech industries. Students also find opportunities to join government services in administration and defence. Overall the graduate and postgraduate students are well informed about their career options and thus find it easy to navigate their way forward, which connects with their interest and passion.
It’s a pleasure to welcome you to the Department and share our passion for developing research and industrial applications using the knowledge of biotechnology.
HOD, Biotechnology Engineering.
“The genomics revolution really is happening. It’s unfolding in laboratories around the world. People just need to be patient.” – Craig Mello and Andrew Fire; Nobel Prize
About Biotechnology Engineering Department:
At present the Department provides a model for an integrated approach towards education as well as research and development in biotechnology. Our alumni occupy number of positions in various industries like Reliance Life Sciences Ltd. Mumbai, BIOCON Ltd. Bangalore, Serum Institute of India Ltd. Pune, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd. Hyderabad, Ingenesys Ltd. Pune, Cryobank Int. Ltd. Delhi, A.B. Mauri Ltd. Chipalun, Thermax Ltd. Pune and some are working in Armed Forces. They are working in various sections like Research and Development, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Production, Regularities Affairs, Pollution Control and Occupational Safety division of these industries. Some of our students are well known entrepreneurs and some are working for their master (M.S.) and Ph.D. courses in abroad and regional CSIR laboratories in India.
During the Biotechnology course, students are acquainted with various techniques in fermentation technology, r-DNA technology, medical biotechnology, preparation of transgenic animals and plants, bioinformatics, food processing and food safety, effluent treatment, cancer biology, stem cell culture and its applications. The curriculum also comprises industrial training, industrial visits, co-curricular, extra-curricular activities etc. In the final year students carry out projects in the areas like Bioprocesses Engg., Plant and Animal tissue culture, Genetic Engg. Molecular cloning, Medicinal plant and their processing, Nanotechnology, Biosensors etc. Our Post Graduate students are working in various prestigious organizations like CSIR- Institute of Oceanography, CSIR -NCL, Vasantdada Sugar Institute, CSIR- Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology, Serum Institute of India Ltd.
To develop as a Center of Excellence in Biotechnology Engineering and the preferred choice of Faculty, Student, Industry and Society at global level
⦁ To use sophisticated techniques of modern biotechnology to strengthen and develop human resources and institutional capacity.
⦁ To transfer know how and develop appropriate facility and training in biotechnology related subjects considering safety in biotechnology by assessing management risk.
Academic Programmes available at KIT:
|UG Programme (B.Tech.) and PG Programme (M.Tech.)|
|Year of Starting||Programme||Intake||Status|
|2002||B.Tech. (Biotechnology)||60||Autonomous,Approved by AICTE, Accredited by NBA|
|2008||M.Tech. (Biochemical Engineering and Biotechnology)||18||Autonomous,Approved by AICTE|
What is Biotechnology Engineering?
The use of microorganisms for the production of the substances like ethanol, citric acid, Baker’s yeast, acetic acid, antibiotics etc. was already known but it was not given name biotechnology before 70’s decades (Now it is called as Classical Biotechnology). But in late 70’s due to breakthroughs in genetics and molecular biology, a new field of modern biotechnology started to evolve. To boost the research in this field, Govt. of India established National Biotechnology Board (NBTB) which was given a separate status of different Department under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India in 1986.
Thereafter it started growing very fast in different areas with the different laboratories established throughout India, like National Centre for Cell Sciences, National Institute of Immunology, National Institute of Animal Biotechnology, National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institution, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology etc. and public sector undertakings as Indian Vaccines Corp. Ltd. Bharat Immunologicals and Biologicals Corporations Ltd.
From the year 1999-2000 onwards many colleges started the courses like BSc (Biotechnology) and MSc (Biotechnology). Considering the interdisciplinary nature of the Biotechnology (Biology + Technology) there was a need of adding an engineering approach where novel technology could be actually reach at every person on larger scale and not only at laboratory bench scale. This engineering scaling approach was incorporated with the designing of a new curriculum called Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology.
Biotechnology Engineering is an application of biological sciences and chemical engineering principles to improve the quality of human life. Biotechnology Engineering involves scientific manipulation of biological systems at genetic and molecular level to manufacture useful products and to provide services under controlled conditions. It is multidisciplinary subject which encompasses several disciplines such as cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, genetics and chemical engineering etc. Skilled biotechnology engineers are committed to exploit available biological resources for the betterment of society using biotechnological tools such as r-DNA technology, tissue culture, bioprocess and fermentation technology, bioinformatics etc. They are found to be most demanding human resource for the development of industrial sectors such as pharmaceutical, agricultural, food and beverages, Bioinstrumentation, environmental along with various academic and research institutes in India and abroad. Clinical research, consultancies and entrepreneurships are also the new fields of opportunities for biotechnology engineers.
Process Technology Approach is the amalgamation of Engineering sciences like Fluid Mechanics, Transport Phenomena, Thermodynamics, Process & Reaction Engineering and Microbial & Cell Culture Processes, Protein Engineering, Genetic engineering, Immunotechnology etc. It involves large scale production processes, providing solutions to problems related to design and operation for biological system.
Today the whole world is too much shaken with the word ‘Biotechnology’ because there is a strong opinion that the ‘Biotechnology will give solutions to so many problems’. Biotechnology is a new and innovative industry with innumerable career options for anyone interested in life science. Biotechnology has changed the quality of life through improved medicine, diagnostics, agriculture and waste management, to name a few. Because the field of biotechnology is still relatively new, there is an abundance of unique opportunities to make new discoveries and introduce useful innovations to the world. It is bringing unprecedented change in technology and industry. There is lot of scope to the Biotechnology today and in near future as Biotechnologists can work in various industries and R&D institutes related to the following areas.
1. Healthcare – Production of biopharmaceutical products, antibiotics etc.
2. Food – Production of nutraceuticals, natural flavours, improving the quality and quantity of food
with cost reduction
3. Animal – Production of transgenic animals, improvement of livestock
4. Plant and Agriculture – Pest resistant crops, improvement of shelf life and quality of plants
5. Environment – Biodegradation , improved effluent treatment
6. Nanotechnology – Use of nano-carriers for treatment of diseases and drug delivery
7. Industrial and Biofuels – Production of bioethanol like alternative fuels to petroleum
8. Biomedical Engineering – Tissue regeneration and development, Biomedical instrumentation
Due to above mentioned areas; there are huge career opportunities in this field. Development of new scientific institutions and centers for excellence will help young students and scientists pursue their careers in research and development. It will also help in entrepreneurial development in this sector.
Biotech sector provides professional opportunities in the following areas –
Inventorisation, characterization and documentation, Plant and agriculture related activities, Testing of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) and transgenic, Health care diagnostics, Industrial Biotechnology, Environmental protection and Biodiversity conservation, Food processing, Production of biological and biotech products, Teaching and training in biotechnology.
Job Opportunities to name a few in various sectors are as:-
- Production Trainee Engineer
- Production Manager
- Process Research Engineer
- Process Design Engineer
- Bioinformatics Program Developer
- IPR Consultant
- Business and Technology Consultant
- Scientific Journalist
CONTACTS FOR UG and PG ADMISSIONS AND COURSE DETAILS
Dr. Mrs. Monica Sanandum +91 9850271679
Mr. Vishal Ghodake – +91 9860681955
Mr. Atish Chavan – +91 9225806244
Ms. Asavari Joshi- +91 9421197951
UG [B.Tech. (Biotech)] and PG [M.Tech.(Biochemical Engg.& Biotech)]
Eligibility Criterion for B.Tech. course : JEE (Mains)/ MHT-CET (Engg.) (with PCM group)
All Students with Biology or without Biology are eligible for UG course.
DEPARTMENT VISION MISSION
To develop as a Center of Excellence in Biotechnology Engineering and the preferred choice of Faculty, Student, Industry and Society at global level
- To use sophisticated techniques of modern biotechnology to strengthen and develop human resources and institutional capacity.
- To transfer know how and develop appropriate facility and training in biotechnology related subjects considering safety in biotechnology by assessing management risk
- Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, basic science and in depth technical competence in Biotechnology engineering discipline to meet the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review various biological science research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems using basic principles of mathematics, biological sciences, and engineering sciences to achieve desired goals.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design complex processes to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods in the field of Biotechnology engineering to conduct experiments, analyze and interpret the data, design the equipments and processes as per the specifications and needs of biotech industries.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and software tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering
activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning gained from the contextual knowledge of biotechnological engineering to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the biotechnological solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate acquired skills for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of the biotechnology engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary environments.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex biotechnology engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to make effective presentations, write effective reports and design documentation.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the biotechnology engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to
engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of biotechnology
engineering and technological change
PSO 1: Research Aptitude: Inculcate the applicative knowledge of engineering & applied science to demonstrate research aptitude/skills in Emerging fields of biotechnology.
PSO 2: Process & Product Development: Display skills of Bioprocess Technology towards development of processes and products in global context.
PSO 3: Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) & Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP): Exhibit adequate proficiency of GLP and GMP in terms of accuracy & precision, safety, ethics and reproducibility and able to follow standard operating procedures (SOP).
a. To prepare Biotechnology Engineering students,
b. To excel in higher studies in Biotechnology engineering and management
c. To succeed in all Biotechnology industrial areas through global and rigorous education.
2. Core Competence: To provide students of Biotechnology Engineering with a solid foundation in the thrust areas such as Bioprocesses, Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology etc. required to work in Biotechnology industries.
3. Breadth: To train Biotechnology Engineering students with good scientific and engineering breadth particularly in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Biomedical Engineering, Food Technology, Medical Biotechnology so as to comprehend, analyze, design and create novel product and solutions to real life problems.
4. Professionalism: To inculcate in Biotechnology Engineering students
professional and ethical attitude, effective communication, teamwork skills, entrepreneurship skills with multidisciplinary approach
an ability to relate engineering issues in biotechnology for the welfare of mankind and environment.
5. Learning Environment: To provide student of Biotechnology Engineering with better social and academic environment aware of excellence, leadership, intellectual property rights, written ethical guidelines, and the life-long learning needed for a successful professional career.