DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Civil Engineering is one of the basic and core branches of Engineering, having a large influence on common man’s living. It emphasizes on the technical uplift of the common man and guides common man through application of the technical knowledge for the welfare of the society. Think of any technical activity and it is really impossible to forget the impact of CIVIL ENGINEERING on it.
It lets you tread the career path in various fields such as Structural Engineering, Irrigation & Water Resource, Transportation, Environmental Utilities, Surveying, Remote Sensing, Town Planning, Construction Management etc.
A Common Individuals Virtual and Indigenous Life technique, no doubt, is the meaning of Civil Engineering.
ABOUT CIVIL ENGINEERING
Civil engineering is the oldest branch of engineering which is growing right from the stone age of civilization. Civil engineering is the profession in which knowledge of the mathematical and physical sciences gained by study, experience and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to utilize economically the resources and forces of the nature for the progressive well being of man.
Civil engineering is concerned with the development, design, construction, production and management of the physical infrastructure required to safeguard the safety, health, business activity and sustainability of our society. These facilities provide built-up environment to mankind and public services such as water management, soil management, urban development, flood protection, drinking water production, waste treatment, transport by water, rail and road, and utilities to perform several other functions for the public.
Civil Engineering aims to train and educate engineers to solve complex problems in a creative way
Professionally in unpredictable environments and to assume leading roles in various organizations, both in the India and worldwide, in private and public sector too.
From the available principal subjects of civil engineering, considerable freedom exists for students to choose and concentrate in anyone of the following areas through the selection of suitable complementary courses.Few of the specializations are:Building materials and construction, Structural engineering, Geotechnical engineering, Hydraulics, water resources and irrigation engineering, Water supply and sanitary engineering, Transportation engineering, Town planning and architecture, Surveying, Estimation and specification, Management techniques, Computer application.
Civil Engineers can find job in Government departments, private and public sector industries, research and Teaching institutions etc. Job opportunities for civil engineers are expected to increase as fast as the average for all jobs, although the construction industry is vulnerable to fluctuations in the economy. The experts say there is a high demand for experienced civil engineers in developed countries. Civil engineers are employed in all the major construction projects carried out by the state or central government, the railways, Private construction companies, military, engineering services, consultancy services etc.
Civil engineering graduates can also go in for research and take up teaching or they can open their own in dependent consultancy services. Depending upon the level, amount, and focus of study and/or work experience undertaken, the following are some examples of the types of work available to Civil Engineering graduates.
- In public sector as Structural Engineer, Building Services Engineer, Consultant Engineer, Contracts Manager, Geotechnical Engineer, Pavement Engineer on Highways, Hydrologist and Irrigation Engineer, Materials and Maintenance Engineer, Site Engineer, Project Manager, Quality Assurance Engineer, Research Engineer, Resource and Regulatory Compliance Manager, Public Health Engineer
- In Government Sector viz. Public Work Department (PWD), Irrigation Department*Maharashtra Jeevan Pradhikaran (MJP), Town Planning, Defense, Atomic Research Centers
- In Semi-Government Sector viz. Municipal Corporations, Pollution Control Board, MSEB & Telecom, MHADA, CIDCO, HUDCO, HDFC
To produce a dynamic and compatible civil engineer who will meet the requirements of local and global industries and impart services to the society.
- To make the students responsible towards society through technical guidance, exhibition and awareness campaigns.
- To inculcate flexibility and dynamism in instructional method along with sound knowledge base through modern tools, discipline and hard work.
- To create academic excellence by encouragement to students for participation and to win laurels for attaining self-esteem and personality development.
- To inculcate discipline and hardworking attitude in students.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- Preparation: To pursue an advanced education in variety of civil engineering and education interdisciplinary programs or to be employable at the respectable level in various organizations and to work competitively in the world.
- Core Competence:To work with a firm foundation in mathematical, scientific, engineering and logical fundamentals of civil engineering required to solve civil engineering problems and also to pursue higher studies.
- Breadth: To exhibit good scientific and engineering breadth related to computers, environmental issues and remote electronic applications so as to comprehend, analyze, design and execute civil engineering projects and solutions for real life problems.
- Professionalism: To acquire professional and ethical attitude, effective communication skills, teamwork and leadership skills and ability to relate various issues for uplift.
- Learning environment: To have an academic environment excellence, leadership, guidelines and lifelong learning needed for successful professional career in civil engineering.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze engineering problems to arrive at substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components, processes to meet the specifications with consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal, and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large. Be able to comprehend and write effective reports documentation. Make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team. Manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES
Foundation for work on site: Ability to understand and demonstrate an ability to visualize & work on site quality control systems through consultancy work in the department.
Ability to apply knowledge in various fields to provide solution to new ideas and innovations through the departmental expertise in various fields like Structural, Geotechnical, Water Resource, Environmental, Transportation, Quality control, Surveying, Remote sensing & GIS, Project management.
Foundations of Tendering and Professional Agencies: Ability to follow the procedure in various governmental, nongovernmental, private Civil Engineering Agencies with professional skills and knowledge of tendering and various construction work sanctions.